Sunday, January 12, 2014

Dreams

Hello everyone!

I'm here to talk about one of the most cheesiest things TO talk about, dreams. We've all had some at one point, and some of us actually fulfilled them. Some of us... just moved on. And while that's sad, the only thing to say is... that's life.

I grew up in a strict environment (I had very strict parents), and they often didn't hesitate to hit me if I grew out of line. And while somewhat painful... it did help me, I just don't want to enforce it myself. And these types of parents often threw me out of dream land when I went there. I wanted to be a singer. Denied. I wanted to be an actor. Denied. My dreams were crushed countless times from the early age of 4 (yeah, they were kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda very strict). And yet, looking upon it now, they were probably just really scared for me if I actually pursued it, and failed, and... etc. They often imposed their dreams on me, however. They wanted me to be a doctor.

Since that day, I've taken that dream to be my own, which was detrimental in it's own way. Once I realized I didn't want to do that, I was lost. The only thing that appealed to me financially was that profession, and I couldn't think of anything else.

I then walked everyday of my life, not knowing what to do next. I was in high school, taking the science classes because they would open more "doors" for me, and I did well enough in them. But I was still lost.

I then graduated and went on to college (which I'm still in), and found myself in the same situation. I'm in science again, because I didn't know what to do in my life. I made many friends (which came to a surprise, since in high school, while I had friends, my high school consisted mostly of stupid people) and was very happy, but still lost as all hell. My friends seemed to have a clear idea though, just not me.

I didn't want to talk to anyone, just because I was scared of judgement. I closed myself in, and screamed at the people who wanted to help me.

Eventually though, I talked to my friends and my sisters. They all basically said the same thing:
"Choose what you like, then see if it's compatible with you."

And that's why now, I can firmly say I want to go in the computer sciences in university. Preferably in the gaming industry, I know it's not how kids envision it, but I still want to do it.

And that brings me to today's topic. TV shows, people around you... everyone tries to tell you to "Follow your dreams", and while that is nice and all, as teens and adults, we understand that we might be lacking in some way or another. We might not be smart enough, we might not have 20/20 vision... numerous flaws stand in our ways.

I'd just like to say this, the dream that your parents impose on you might not be your dream, despite how much you try to deny this. To those who wanted to be a doctor, but whose grades are frankly too low, it might be because it is purely the money/parents that motivates you.

My friend used to be really bad in math, but he got waaaaaaaaaaaay better than me once he realized what he wanted to do.

Even so, if you're completely sure this is not the case... then it might actually not be compatible with you. It's sad to say, but that's life. Things don't work out at times, and... we have to learn how to move on. You can change your dreams, as odd as that may sound. Someone will be there for you, no matter how many times you trip and fall. Never for one second think that you are alone. It's never the case, your brain just automatically shifts into negative mode when it gets the chance.

If you're just thinking about the money, forget it. These words are actually the only solid ones that remain true to this day: "Money does not equate happiness".

However, as pessimistic as I might sound up to now, you should still give your dreams a shot. Don't give up before trying. Live life to the fullest, you never know when things might happen. And lastly, love yourself. It sounds basic, but realize how many times you compare your flaws to people's qualities. Just... complement yourself once in a while. And if you truly don't think you can, then look in a mirror, and try telling the person in it you hate them, earnestly. It's quite hard, because deep down inside, you know you don't.

I hope your days will be awesome.

Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment